Converse’s Department of Art and Design held its annual Emerging Young Artists Juried Exhibition. Accepted submissions were on exhibition in Milliken Art Gallery from March 13 through March 25, 2023. The reception and award ceremony was held in the gallery on March 25, 2023.
The Converse Emerging Young Artists Exhibition provides a venue to recognize exemplary art by high school students and to help them begin to prepare for future studies in the arts while still in grades 9-12.
Members of Converse’s Department of Art and Design reviewed nearly 300 submissions from across the state and accepted 120 into the exhibition. Awards were given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each medium.
Congratulations to all the award winners!
- Best In Show: Evie Driggs (10th grade); “Daydreaming” The Fine Arts Center
- First Place in Drawing: Sariah Caldwell (10th grade) “Gray Paper Portrait”; The Fine Arts Center
- First Place in Printmaking: Irianis Castillo Reynoso (11th grade) “untitled”; J.L. Mann High School
- First Place in Painting: Jonathan Weatherford (12th grade) “Ricardo”; Pathways for Scholars
- First Place in Mixed Media: Amara Listar (10th grade) “Absence of Awareness”; The Fine Arts Center
- First Place in Ceramics: Isabel Hong (12th grade) “Age”; South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities
- First Place in Sculpture: Caitlyn Schumacher (12th grade) “Coral”; Wilson Hall High School
- First Place in Fibers: Lee Bryan (12th grade) “Wall”; The Fine Arts Center
- First Place in Graphic Design: Ella Tomlin (12th grade) “Generations to Generations”; The Fine Arts Center
- First Place in Photography: Lily Caligan-Gilliam (9th grade) “Hand With Flowers”; The Fine Arts Center
Converse University and the Converse Department of Art and Design are grateful to all the schools, teachers, and students who participated in this high school juried exhibition.
Artwork featured: Winner for Best of Show – Evie Driggs (10th grade), “Daydreaming”; The Fine Arts Center; Teacher–Kelly King