Since its founding, Converse has become one of the leading colleges for women in the South, although it has accepted undergraduate men since 2020. At the time of its admission in 1912, Converse was the only college in South Carolina that held membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Admitted to the Association of American Colleges and Universities in 1915, Converse is a founding member of that organization. Converse was also the first South Carolina college with graduates admitted to membership in the American Association of University Women, as well as the first to have a chapter of Mortar Board, the national honor society for seniors.
Converse University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award degrees at Level V (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Musical Arts, Master of Music, Master of Liberal Arts, Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Education, Master in Marriage and Family Therapy, Master of Fine Arts, Masters in Management, Educational Specialist, and Doctor of Education). Degree-granting institutions also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of Converse University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
Converse holds the following accreditations and affiliations:
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
- Women’s College Coalition
- Council of Independent Colleges
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Division II
- Conference Carolinas
- Petrie School of Music is a charter member of the NASM (National Association of Schools of Music)
- Music Therapy program is accredited by AMTA (American Music Therapy Association)
- Converse University Education Programs are accredited through the South Carolina Department of Education under the guidance of the Council for the Accreditation for Education Preparation (CAEP).
- Marriage and Family Therapy program is accredited by COAMFTE (Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education)
- Converse University is accredited by NASAD (National Association of Schools of Art and Design)
- Interior Design program is accredited by CIDA (Council for Interior Design Accreditation)