Converse empowers our students to become transformative leaders who see clearly, decide wisely, and act justly. We offer an environment where opinions are valued and supported with strong academic programs in the arts, sciences, and education, an uncommonly low student-faculty ratio and unique opportunities for student and faculty research.
We value creativity, innovation, and transformation. Every student has the opportunity to participate in experiential learning while at Converse—things like internships, student research, leadership development, community service and study-travel.
In 1964 Converse introduced co-ed graduate programs, including the Master of Art in Teaching (MAT) program, the first degree of its kind in South Carolina.
In February 2020, Converse decided to expand its undergraduate residential program from single-gender to co-ed beginning in Fall 2020. On July 1, 2021, Converse College acknowledged its long-held university status with an official name change to Converse University,
- 1,394 total enrollment (747 undergraduate and 647 graduate)
- 29 states and 9 countries represented
- 11:1 faculty/student ratio ensures personal attention and mentoring
- 98% of full-time faculty hold the terminal degree in their fields
- 86% of courses are taught by full-time faculty
- 3 faculty members were named South Carolina Professor of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation
- Over 45% rank in the top quarter of their graduating class
- Middle 50% SAT range: 970-1160; middle 50% ACT range: 21-26
- 60% graduation rate with 94% of graduates completing their degree in four years
- More than 40 undergraduate majors merge the liberal arts and career-focused majors
- Options for double and self-designed majors – more than half of our students double major
- Graduate programs include: MIM, MLA, MMFT, MM, MAT, MFA, MEd, EdD and EdS degrees
- Five online graduate degrees (EdS, MEd, MIM) and one low-residency MFA graduate degree
- Five programs are offered at our alternate location at the University Center of Greenville (UCG), including the EdD
- Converse students have the opportunity to participate in research, independent creative projects, service learning projects, internships or study travel
- 1/2 of Converse students are involved in research or independent creative projects. Our student researchers receive more SCICU funding than any other school in the state
- 1/2 of our students participate in service projects.
- 1/3 participate in study-travel to connect with global learning in Africa, Australia, Europe, Asia, North America and South America. Many receive study-travel scholarships.
The Converse Guarantee
Guarantee 1: We guarantee all undergraduate, full-time students will graduate from Converse in four years. We are committed to your success. If you don’t graduate in four years, the rest of your classes needed to complete your degree at Converse will be free*.
Guarantee 2: We guarantee all students will be employed full-time or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation, or be eligible to return for a full year tuition-free*.
- Acrobatics & Tumbling
- Cross Country
- Field Hockey
- Track & Field
- Cross Country
- Track & Field
- Volleyball (Fall 2024)
- Equestrian (IHSA)*
*Not a Division II sport
- October 1: Submit FAFSA
- May 1: Deposit deadline
Undergraduate Tuition & Fees
2021-2022 tuition and fees
- $19,500 Tuition
- $11,948 Room and Board