- In 1964 Converse introduced co-ed graduate programs, including the Master of Art in Teaching (MAT) program, the first degree of its kind in South Carolina.
- In February 2020, Converse decided to expand its undergraduate residential program from single-gender to co-ed beginning in Fall 2020 and move from college to university, effective July 1, 2021.
Our Mission and Values
Converse empowers our students to become transformative leaders who see clearly, decide wisely, and act justly. We offer an environment where opinions are valued and supported with strong academic programs in the arts, sciences, and education, an uncommonly low student-faculty ratio and unique opportunities for student and faculty research.
We value creativity, innovation, and transformation. Every student has the opportunity to participate in experiential learning while at Converse—things like internships, student research, leadership development, community service and study-travel.
- 1,394 total enrollment (747 undergraduate and 647 graduate)
- 29 states and 9 countries represented
11:1 ensures personal attention and mentoring
- 98% of full-time faculty hold the terminal degree in their fields
- 86% of courses are taught by full-time faculty
- 3 faculty members were named South Carolina Professor of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation
- Over 45% rank in the top quarter of their graduating class
- Middle 50% SAT range: 970-1160; middle 50% ACT range: 21-26
- 60% graduation rate with 94% of graduates completing their degree in four years
- More than 30 undergraduate majors merge the liberal arts and career-focused majors
- Options for double and self-designed majors – more than half of our students double major
- Graduate programs include: MIM, MLA, MMFT, MM, MAT, MFA, MEd, EdD and EdS degrees
- Five online graduate degrees (EdS, MEd, MIM) and one low-residency MFA graduate degree
- Five programs are offered at our alternate location at the University Center of Greenville (UCG), including the EdD
- Converse students have the opportunity to participate in research, independent creative projects, service learning projects, internships or study travel
- 1/2 of Converse students are involved in research or independent creative projects. Our student researchers receive more SCICU funding than any other school in the state
- 1/2 of our students participate in service projects.
- 1/3 participate in study-travel to connect with global learning in Africa, Australia, Europe, Asia, North America and South America. Many receive study-travel scholarships.
We are the only NCAA Division II athletic program in the Upstate, actively competing in Conference Carolinas.
- Acrobatics & Tumbling
- Cross Country
- Field Hockey
- Track & Field
- Cross Country
- Track & Field
- Equestrian (IHSA)*
Our athletes rank 12th in the nation among Division II teams for their community service.
*Not a Division II sport
Class of 2019:
- 57% had jobs or grad school acceptances upon graduation
- 35% report being the first in their immediate family to earn a bachelors degree
- 44% participated in service opportunities on and off-campus
- 51% held an internship during their time at Converse
- 28% participated in study travel, visiting Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Greece, Spain, Morocco, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Cuba and the Netherlands
- Pulitzer Prize winner
- State Supreme Court Justice
- Broadway performers
- One of the nation’s top heart researchers
- Deputy crew commander for Titan IV Rocket launches at Cape Canaveral
- The first female circuit court judge in South Carolina