What makes Converse Unique?
Converse University empowers its students to become transformative leaders who see clearly, decide wisely, and act justly. Converse offers an environment where opinions are valued and sought after—with strong academic programs in the arts, sciences, and education, an uncommonly low student-faculty ratio of 11:1 and unique opportunities for student-faculty collaboration and research.
We value creativity, innovation, and transformation—so much so that every student has the opportunity to participate in experiential learning while at Converse—things like internships, student research, leadership development, community service and study-travel.
We are committed to your success.
Converse is so confident in the value of our education that we have introduced the Converse Guarantee. With this promise, we guarantee all undergraduate, full-time students will graduate from Converse in four years. If you don’t, the rest of your classes needed to complete your degree will be free. We also guarantee you will be employed full-time or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation, or be eligible to return to Converse University for a year tuition-free.
Learn more about the Converse Guarantee here.
- 98% of full-time Converse faculty hold the terminal degree in their fields
- 82% of courses are taught by full-time faculty
- Converse has earned three South Carolina Professor of the Year awards since 2007 by the Carnegie Foundation and the Council for the Advancement of Support Education (CASE)
- Our faculty collaborate with our students, giving you the opportunity to participate in research and real-world experiences that will prepare you for success.
Our students succeed – in school and afterward.
Our undergraduates are more likely than their peers to participate in faculty-mentored research, to earn SCICU research grants, and to present their research at conferences. Converse students are wise leaders, creative thinkers, and agents of transformation who are looking for more from their college experience. We believe a rich educational experience should be open to all and help drive our region vibrantly forward.
Over the last decade, we’ve had:
- 5 Fulbright Assistantships
- 2 Goldwater Scholarship finalists
- 2 University Innovation Fellows
- A John Jay Institute Fellow
- An Abreu (Sistema) Fellow
- A Goldman Sachs Rising Leader
- An Elie Weisel Ethics Prize finalist
- Presidential Management Fellows
- A White House Champion for Change
Our graduates get accepted at places like:
- Yale University
- Texas A&M
- Harvard University
- The Julliard School
- James Madison University
- Columbia University
- Princeton University
- Boston University
- University of Georgia
- University of Texas Health Science Center
- New York School of Interior Design
- Georgetown University
Notable Converse Graduates:
Lily Strickland – Pulitzer prize-winning composer
Kimilee Bryant – Broadway star; earned lead role of “Christine” in Phantom of the Opera
Ellen Bryant Voigt – MacArthur Foundation Fellow and “Genius Grant” recipient, Poet Laureate of Vermont
Pat Hickerson – Major General U.S. Army; retired as highest ranking female officer
Scott Laughlin – Co-founder and associate director of Disquiet International Literary Program in Portugal
Richard Troxell – Opera star of Scorsese’s Madam Butterfly film; sung on TV for Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon
Carol Connor – First female circuit court judge in South Carolina
Casey Addis – U.S. Foreign Service Officer
Ron Gardner, Scott Turner and Russell Booker – Superintendents of Spartanburg County School Districts 1, 5 and 7
Harriet O’Neil – Texas Supreme Court Justice
Cheryl Woody – Deputy crew commander for Titan IV Rocket launches