- Great local and regional internship opportunities
- Our professors are real world practitioners turned educators
- Hands-on learning through case studies with real companies
- Build your resume and experience through local service learning projects
- Opportunities to gain international experience through travel and research
Converse’s Accounting major and minor will prepare you for a career in private accounting, financial management, public accounting or graduate school. An Accounting degree opens the doors to nearly any company, from the newest biotech startup to a hundred-year-old bank; all companies need accountants to manage finances or transactions and guide them in their financial business decisions.
- BS in Accounting
- Minor in Accounting
Many courses include opportunities for you to learn real-world skills on projects for local businesses, nonprofit organizations and campus offices. Recently Converse accounting students analyzed and made recommendations to improve accounting and information systems for a local clothing shop, a jewelry designer and a bail bonds office.
Spartanburg is home to more than 80 international companies from 19 countries and dozens of corporate headquarters. As a Converse Accounting major, you will have the advantage of being in close proximity to these highly desirable internship sites, including:
- Dixon Hughes
- Swaim Brown
- Smith Barney
- Ernst & Young
Converse Students have recently completed accounting internships at Ford Motor Credit, Dixon Hughes, and FFT Production Systems.
The accounting major is designed to prepare you for a career in industry, financial management, public accounting or graduate school. We recommend you consider taking additional courses beyond the major requirements including, but not limited to computer science, money and financial institutions, and other elective accounting and finance courses. Business ethics concepts are integrated throughout the curriculum to expose you to a variety and of ethical dilemmas present in the business world.
- Accounting and Business Information Systems
- American Legal System and Contracts
- Tax Accounting
- Business Organizations, Property, and Commercial Law
Bachelor of Science (BS) in Accounting
When you graduate with a BS in Accounting you’ll be ready to become an accounting professional. You’ll express yourself well through both business writing and oral presentation. Our faculty will guide you through basic business, economic and accounting concepts and you will be able to prepare GAAP-based financial statements. You will also have basic knowledge of federal income tax and the capability to utilize critical thinking skills in solving analytical problems.
Minor in Accounting
The Accounting minor is designed to complement other majors by providing a concentration in accounting that covers Intermediate, Financial, Cost and Tax areas. The minor is an excellent way to increase your employability and understanding of financial issues as well as to supplement your qualitative skills and critical reasoning abilities.
Our accounting graduates are currently working in banking, public accounting, manufacturing, service companies and attending graduate school.
What are common careers in Accounting?
- Public Accounting Firms: Accounting, Auditing, and Tax Services
- Government: Local, State and Federal Level
- Corporations: Corporations big and small typically have an accounting group which prepares financial statements, tracks costs, handles tax issues, works on international transactions.
- Education: Teacher, Professor, Controller, Finance officer, Researcher
What are Accounting alumni doing?
Our accounting graduates are currently working for a wide variety of businesses or in local, state or the federal government. Many have gone on to become Certified Public Accountants (CPA) or attend graduate programs for an MS in Accounting.
- Audit Associate at RSM US LLP
- Tax Associate at Dixon Hughes Goodman LLP
- Staff Accountant at Buckeye Broadband
- Accounting Specialist at Home Fashions International
- Project Accountant at Tindall Corporation
- Business Analyst and Account Manager at DOC Maintenance, Inc
- Associate in the Leadership Development Program at Ford Motor Credit Company
- Wake Forest University
- Georgia State University
- Georgetown University
- The University of South Carolina
- University of Texas
- The University of Georgia
- Winthrop University
Student-Athletes Sweep Field Hockey Awards
At the South Atlantic Conference, Converse University student-athletes swept the Big Four awards (Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year, and Coach of …
2021 Accounting Grad Lands Job Thanks to Career Development Skills
Tykeria Dawkins ’21 landed a full-time accountant position with OTO Development, Johnson Family of Companies, soon after completing a competitive internship with them. Tykeria faced some challenges at the start …
Spring 2021 Dean’s List Announced
Converse congratulates the following undergraduate students named to our Spring 2021 Dean’s List. To be eligible for Converse’s Dean’s List, students must be full-time and have no incomplete grades during …