Would you like to help children and families struggling with financial, marital or substance abuse issues? Do you want to work with children outside of the typical classroom setting? Would you like to make a difference in the lives of families?
Consider majoring in Child and Family Studies at Converse. Recent data from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) indicates strong current and future demand for child, family, and social service workers, with a 16% growth predicted between 2018 and 2026. There is an expanding community need for entry-level employees in this field.
- BA in Child and Family Studies
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Arts in Teaching
About Child and Family Studies
The BA in Child and Family Studies at Converse combines a common core of liberal arts with an in-depth study of current practices in the field of child and family studies. This will actively engage you in scholarly excellence while preparing you to be an innovative leader in the child and family services sector.
Classes for the BA in Child and Family Studies Degree Completion Program (DCP) may be taken at our alternate location at the University Center of Greenville (UCG).
Converse’s BA in Child and Family Studies will prepare you for a career in the expanding and high-need area of child and family services. You will develop written and oral skills, as well as leadership expertise and innovative-thinking necessary for employment in child welfare, community enrichment and child and family-oriented organizations.
- Converse College has an established reputation for providing a high-quality education by integrating the real-world experiences by departmental faculty into the theoretical and foundational material of the coursework.
- Our faculty has demonstrated expertise in the core subject matters of pedagogy and psychology by incorporating current topics into their teaching and scholarly activity.
- Converse has relationships with local child and family service partners with internships and employment opportunities.
Real-world experience is a critical component of the Converse experience. You will have the opportunity to engage in exciting internships both locally and throughout the country. These internships will open the doors to meaningful and gainful employment with organizations whose missions include enhancing family stability, child welfare and community enrichment.
Converse is in close proximity to a large network of organizations committed to enriching the lives of children and families. Converse students have interned at many local organizations including the Mary Black Foundation, SAFE Homes, the Hope Center for Children, Spartanburg Head Start, the Northside Development Project and St. Luke’s Free Medical Clinic.
The BA in Child and Family Studies at Converse College will equip you for a career in the child and family services sector. You will develop an advanced level of knowledge of the roles, responsibilities, and necessary skills used in child and family services. Upon graduation, you will feel confident to analyze problems and synthesize information using critical thinking skills and offer defensible solutions within your field.
- Literature for the Child
- Psychology of Relationships
- Art for the Child
- Theories of Personalities and Emotional Disturbances
What fields can I work in with a BA in Child and Family Studies?
- Family Intervention Services
- Family Services Advocate
- Public Health Programs and Services
- Human Rights Advocate
- Immigration/Migrant Families Services
- Family Development Specialist
- Health Administration