Are you passionate about teaching children in creative and effective ways? Are you compassionate, enthusiastic, and a good listener?
Consider majoring in Elementary Education at Converse and we will help you develop the knowledge, aptitude, and confidence to guide students in grades 2 through 6.
- BA in Elementary Education
About Elementary Education
Our Elementary Education program prepares you to become a skillful and knowledgeable teacher working with children in grades 2 through 6. As an Education major at Converse, you will observe instruction in local schools that use best practices, participate in multiple clinical experiences, practice the teaching skills you learn in your college coursework, and assist teachers in their classrooms.
Converse’s education program will give you the edge in your field with our strong liberal arts foundation and hands-on experiences. When you graduate from Converse you’ll be certified to teach grades 2 through 6 in South Carolina and be amply prepared to take the PRAXIS II exam.
As an Elementary Education major at Converse, you will have continuous access to assist teachers and observe instruction in local schools, while implementing the new skills acquired in related coursework.
- You will participate in student teaching opportunities, giving you first-hand experience with students in grades 2 through 6.
- You will observe and assist teachers in local schools.
- Our low student to faculty ratio guarantees all the individual attention you need to achieve your goals.
- Converse Education graduates are routinely recognized as being the best in their profession. They have earned honors such as: Presidential Educator of the Year, South Carolina Teacher of the Year, National Marine Educator of the Year, The Order of the Palmetto (South Carolina’s highest civilian honor for extraordinary lifetime achievement and service to the state and nation), and the Milken Family Foundation National Educator Award.
- Our programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation for Educator Preparation (CAEP), nationally recognized by ACEI, approved by the South Carolina Department of Education and enjoy certification reciprocity with many other states.
- The majority of Education students have a job within six months of graduation; many students have secured positions prior to graduation.
- Converse students consistently score high on the Praxis II test; in fact, many of our students score more than 20 points above average.
You will participate in clinical experiences at the elementary level during clinical assignments in conjunction with your major courses. These practicum experience allow you to work with children and youth in grades 2 through 6, who have various interests, skills and abilities.
During your last term at Converse you’ll complete a 60-day student teaching requirement. Once you successfully complete the PRAXIS II exams in your particular area of specialty, as well as the Principles of Learning and Teaching exam, you will be eligible for placement in student teaching.
You will work closely with your cooperating teacher throughout your student teaching and will receive visits and guidance from your college supervising teacher. Our goal is for you to be confident and fully prepared to teach in your own classroom after graduation.
Our curriculum is aligned with professional standards and meets all the requirements for national approval by ACEI and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Converse’s teacher education certification program prepares students to become well-qualified, accomplished teachers.
As a Converse Elementary Education student, you will complete all admission requirements for the Teacher Education Program as well as two sequential, incremental clinicals. In the first clinical, EDU 101, you will observe and work with an individual child on reading instruction. In the second clinical, EDU 103, you will have the opportunity to work with large group instruction in an elementary setting.
- Science for the Child
- Reading and Language Arts in the Elementary Classroom
- Math for the Elementary Child
- Children’s Literature
What are Elementary Education alumni doing?
Converse-trained Elementary Education teachers are in public and private schools throughout South Carolina and beyond. Our program is the proven standard for supplying classroom-ready, fully certified elementary teachers with experience in current classroom issues, developmentally appropriate methods, and smart technology.
IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Christi Fowler ’17, Elementary Ed Major
“I chose Converse because it is very well known in the education field and preparing students for their future. When I visited the campus, between the traditions an the sisterhood, I knew it was the place I wanted to be!”