- Converse Education graduates are routinely recognized as being the best in their profession. They have earned honors such as: Presidential Educator of the Year, South Carolina Teacher of the Year, National Marine Educator of the Year, The Order of the Palmetto (South Carolina’s highest civilian honor for extraordinary lifetime achievement and service to the state and nation), and the Milken Family Foundation National Educator Award;
- You will observe and assist teachers in local schools;
- You will participate in student teaching and one-on-one clinicals, giving you first-hand experience with students in pre-kindergarten through third grade;
- Our low student-to-faculty ratio guarantees all the individual attention you need to achieve your goals;
- The majority of Education students have a job within six months of graduation; many students have secured positions prior to graduation;
- Converse students consistently score high on the Praxis test; in fact, many of our students score more than 20 points above average.
Converse’s Early Childhood Education major blends your patience and creativity with play and teaching strategies, courses exploring child development and literacy, and hands-on experience student-teaching in diverse classrooms. Major in Early Childhood Education with us and become part of a legacy of passionate, award-winning teachers who have graduated from Converse.
Converse’s BA in Early Childhood Education is designed for individuals who wish to pursue a teaching career working with children in pre-kindergarten through third grade.
- BA in Early Childhood Education
You will participate in clinical experiences at the elementary school level during assignments in conjunction with your major courses. This practicum experience allows you to work with children in grades pre-kindergarten through third grade who have various interests, skills, and abilities.
During your last term at Converse you’ll complete a 60-day student teaching requirement. Once you successfully complete the PRAXIS II exams in your particular area of specialty, as well as the Principles of Learning and Teaching exam, you will be eligible for placement in student teaching.
You will work closely with Converse faculty throughout student teaching and will receive visits and guidance from your college supervising teacher. Our goal is for you to be confident and fully prepared to teach in your own classroom after graduation.
The early childhood major combines observations of young children, instructional methodology, program planning for pre-kindergarten through third grade children, as well as information about children’s social, emotional, physical, and intellectual development.
Our curriculum is aligned with professional standards and meets all the requirements for national approval by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Upon completion of the degree you’ll be eligible for pre-kindergarten through third grade certification in South Carolina as well as certification reciprocity with many other states.
Majors in early childhood must also complete two sequential, incremental clinicals. In the first clinical you will observe and work with an individual child on reading instruction. During the second clinical you will work in an early childhood setting and plan, organize, and implement instruction with groups of young children.
- Behavior and Development of the Young Child
- Early Childhood Curriculum
- Reading and Language Arts in Early Childhood Classrooms
- Methods and Materials for Early Childhood Education
What are Early Childhood Education alumni doing?
Converse-trained Early Childhood education teachers are working in public and private schools throughout South Carolina and beyond. Our program is the proven standard for supplying classroom-ready, fully certified early childhood teachers with experience in current classroom issues, child development, and instructional methods and technology appropriate for young children.
Education Senior Honors Police and First Responders
Early Childhood Education major and Converse Lacrosse player Haleigh McSwain ’23 honored Spartanburg County Deputy Austin Aldridge with a song during the 2022 Miss South Carolina competition. McSwain, the first …
Dr. Cheser Brings Hawaii to the Classroom
Associate Professor of Education, Dr. David Wayne Cheser, spent his summer on eco-tour expeditions to the Big Island of Hawaii to study lava flows and volcanoes, climate change, and visit …
Minor in Arts Opens Door to Full-time Job
Child and Family Studies major and Arts Administration minor, Chloe Young ’22, began interning at Paint Love, a nonprofit in Atlanta, Georgia, in November 2020. The Paint Love organization works …