Throughout the semester:
- Vaccinations are key to returning to normal operations. Converse is not requiring the vaccination at this time for most employees and students, but we are strongly encouraging all to get the vaccine if they are eligible. This is our surest and quickest path toward a return to normal operations.This is the most important thing we can do to keep our campus and community healthy.
- Those who have already started or completed vaccination should submit their information via the secure Vaccination Portal. Converse has partnered with DHEC and Healthy Me Healthy SC to offer occasional on-campus vaccination clinics. The VAXLocator can be used to find many other local community partners offering the vaccine.
- All residential students are required to have an isolation and quarantine plan in place.
- All residential students must complete and submit an isolation and quarantine plan to my.converse.edu at this link. Dedicated on-campus isolation and quarantine housing will be reserved for those students who live greater than 3 hours away or have extenuating circumstances affecting their ability to isolate or quarantine off campus. Should the need to isolate or quarantine arise, the Wellness Center and our Residential Life team have pulled together some additional guidelines and resources to aid in that process.
- Staying home if sick or having symptoms of COVID-19. Students or faculty who believe they may have had close contact with someone who is ill with COVID, or are exhibiting symptoms themselves, should seek advice from the Wellness Center on next steps. Honesty and prompt action are necessary for early detection of potential cases so offering flexibility in the program design to allow students to stay home when not well is important. Individuals who fall ill during the day may be asked to go home and seek further guidance before returning.
- Developing backup plans to offer continued coursework. Flexible planning should be developed and communicated if in the event an instructor or student needs to remain at home due to being ill or because of quarantine or isolation guidance.
- Encouraging routine testing to stay in the know. Whether through a local provider or taking part in Converse’s on-campus offerings, routine testing continues to remain an important way of understanding your health status. Results should be submitted to the Proof of Test portal.
- Testing Protocol for the Unvaccinated: Converse students and employees who have not been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and those who have not shared with the University that they are fully vaccinated should be tested weekly for COVID-19, or until they upload proof of full vaccination. Testing is not required for the fully vaccinated unless one is having COVID-19 like symptoms or if one has come into close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated 1) two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series (such as with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines); or 2) two weeks after a single-dose vaccine (such as Johnson and Johnson’s Janssen vaccine).
- Completing the daily health screening tool. This Daily Questionnaire should be completed by each student, faculty, and staff every day. Green, clearance checks should be verified at the beginning of each class and for supervisors, with each employee.
- Distancing of classroom and meeting spaces. Converse looks to maintain 6 feet of distancing where possible. Continue to follow the distancing requirements unless otherwise instructed.
- Use of masks that cover the nose and mouth. Proper face coverings must be worn in all indoor locations except when in private workspaces and applies to all regardless of vaccination status. This includes masking in classrooms and meeting spaces. Masks are not required while outdoors with the exception of large, crowded gatherings where physical distancing is not possible. Masks must be worn in the dining hall at all times except when actively eating and drinking.
- Cleaning and disinfecting to maintain healthy facilities. A supply of cleaning materials are offered in each classroom for use between classes or as needed, as well as routine, daily cleaning protocols in place by our custodial team. Frequent hand washing continues to remain an effective way to prevent the spread of germs.
It is important that each student maintain an accurate phone number within My.Converse in the event they need to be contacted due to a possible exposure. Adherence to the recommendations of the Wellness Center and/or contact tracing team is essential to maintain a safe environment for all. Converse reserves the right to adapt these protocols if conditions or public health guidance changes to best serve and protect the students, faculty and others involved.