No. Due to privacy concerns, as well as our desire to foster independence and self-sufficiency in our students, we require that students schedule their own appointments for health and counseling services.
The Wellness Center offers health services to all currently enrolled students, as well as faculty and staff.
Health Services supports the overall health of the campus community by providing holistic, high-quality, affordable, and easily accessible preventive and diagnostic primary medical care. We are committed to providing education, programming, and interventions that promote a healthy lifestyle, support academic and professional success, and lead to an optimum level of wellness.
The nurse practitioner is able to provide a wide variety of services, including:
- Provide yearly physicals and exams
- Prescribe medications
- Diagnose and treat acute conditions such as bronchitis, sinus infections, flu, injuries, and abdominal pain
- Identify, treat, and manage chronic diseases such as asthma
- Identify and treat mild mental health concerns such as depression, anxiety, and panic attacks
- Order and interpret diagnostic tests such as x-rays, blood work, and EKG’s
- Perform pelvic exams and prescribe birth control
- Provide counseling on nutrition, exercise, smoking cessation, and other health goals
- Make referrals to other health care providers and specialists
Health services at the Wellness Center are free to covered by student health fees for all currently enrolled, full-time, traditional Converse College students.
Learn more about Student Health Fees and Health Insurance.
Who is providing medical services?
Health services at the Wellness Center are provided through a partnership between Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System and Converse College.
The Wellness Center is staffed by:
Monday—Thursday: 8:30 AM—5:00 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM—12:00 PM
Please note: These hours do not apply to summer.
The staff of the Wellness Center can provide verification that you attended an appointment on a particular date and time; however, we CANNOT provide an excuse for missing work or class, including if your visit is scheduled for a time that you should be in class. Most professors’ attendance policies allow student to miss a certain number of classes; it is the student’s responsibility to use these absences wisely. If you must obtain an excuse for class or work, you will need to contact an off-campus provider.
The medical records of students who are 18 years of age or older are considered to be private information. Unless you sign a release of information, the nurse practitioner cannot release your information to anyone. If you would like your records to be released to a family member, health care provider, or Converse faculty or staff member, please let the staff know and you will be provided with the appropriate paperwork.
If you need to obtain a copy of your immunizations, please fill out this form and return it to the Wellness Center.
In order to protect your privacy, we require that you sign a Release of Information form allowing us to share your health information with others.
The College is unable to provide transportation to medical appointments, local hospitals or urgent care clinics, or pharmacies. In emergencies, Campus Safety will call EMS for transportation by ambulance. For students who do not have access to a car and have non-emergency medical needs, we recommend the following options:
- Ask friends on campus if they would be willing to drive you to medical appointments, pharmacies, or hospitals or urgent care clinics. It is helpful to have several friends on campus who can assist you, and to ask them well before help is needed.
- Consider using Uber or Lyft. Make sure to follow the following safety tips when using either of these services.
- Take a bus—the Campus is directly on one of SPARTA’s bus lines. Find out more about SPARTA’s routes and schedules.
- If your appointment or pharmacy is near campus, check out BCycle, a low-cost bicycle-sharing program. Converse has a BCycle station behind Montgomery Student Center.
- Dial-a-Ride—Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System offers on-demand, curb-to-curb transportation to medical appointments for a small fee. Appointments can be scheduled at any time up to 10 AM. the day before the trip. Rides can also be requested for same-day trips, but the arrival time is not guaranteed.
Promotes the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health and well-being of the campus community.
Office Hours Vary
See our COVID-19 webpage for the current Wellness Center hours.
Contact the Wellness Center
Located in Andrews Residence Hall.
If you have a life-threatening condition, call 911 or go immediately to the nearest emergency department.
For after-hours, non-life-threatening emergencies contact:
- Campus Safety: 864.596.9026
- RD On-Call: 864.621.7114