The Converse Emergency Response Team continues to monitor progress of Hurricane Florence closely, and is prepared with supplies, action plans and a capable implementation team as we weather the storm. The safety of all members of our campus community is our absolute top priority.
In an abundance of caution and due to the likelihood of power loss in the area, all undergraduate and graduate classes on the main Converse campus are canceled for Monday, Sept. 17. Graduate classes at the University Center of Greenville will be held unless the UCG campus closes. UCG announces closings via WYFF-TV Channel 4 and other news outlets. If individual UCG instructors cancel classes, they will contact students directly.
All campus events scheduled to be held Monday are canceled or are being rescheduled, including the PSOM guest artist concert. The Constitution Day talk by Dr. Jeff Poelvoorde is rescheduled for Monday, Sept. 24. Dates for other events being rescheduled will be forthcoming.
The College will be open for all other normal operations and will be a regular work day for employees.
Please find below a comprehensive Weather and Operations Update from our Department of Campus Safety. Additionally, you may wish to review the Converse Emergency Response Plan
The most important immediate action for every member of the Converse community is to register for (or reactivate your annual registration, if you are a returning student) the Omnilert campus emergency alert system. A test of this system was sent yesterday, so if you did not receive this test, please log in to Omnilert to check your contact information and preferences.
WEATHER AND OPERATIONS UPDATE
Converse College Campus Safety
September 13, 2018
Florence is heading NW at 15 mph. Florence has weakened, but still has tropical storm force winds. The radius of tropical storm force winds is currently 200 miles from the center of the hurricane. Florence will make landfall near Wilmington NC tonight at 2:00 AM. Tracking slowly west, Florence will further weaken as it heads inland.
What to expect for the Upstate
Saturday, we will experience up to 30 mph sustained winds with higher wind gusts. Rain is expected to begin later on Saturday, and heavy rain on Sunday and into Monday may cause flooding in the region; however, the campus is not in a low-lying area. Florence is predicted to exit South Carolina late Sunday night.
What to Do
- Please sign up to receive Emergency Alerts through the Omnilert Emergency Notification System.
- The primary channel for communication during an emergency is the Omnilert system. Converse will communicate general updates and information via campus email and social media, and in the event of class cancellations or delays this information will also be posted to the Converse website and sent to local media outlets.
- Campus Safety Emergency contact number is: 864-596-9026. If the campus is without power, the Campus Safety Emergency contact number is: 864-809-6064.
- Position vehicles as best you can away from large trees, particularly as winds become stronger on Saturday. There are areas in most parking lots where large trees and limbs are absent. Consider the upper Twichell lot, center Fairview lot, Dexter lot, and The Heath lot.
- Charge all electrical devices now in order to monitor storm/emergency announcements, and keep them charged.
- Do not drive through flooded streets and areas! There is no way to determine the depth or current of the water. Turn around and seek a different path to travel.
- Have all necessary medications filled and with you. Charge all medical devices now if possible.
- Have a flashlight and extra batteries, if possible.
- Be careful when cooking. Emergency personnel will have a lot to deal with, so please monitor all cooking activities to avoid unnecessary fire alarms.
- Keep access cards and room keys in your possession at all times!
Campus Building Accessibility and Precautions
- Classes will end at 5:30 p.m. on Friday 9/14/18.
- Converse will close and secure academic and athletic facilities and the following buildings will NOT be accessible: Carmichael, Ezell, Blackman, Milliken, Weisiger Athletic Center, Gibbs Field House, Twichell Auditorium, and Carnegie. Kuhn and Phifer will have limited accessibility for access to vivaria.
- The following Converse facilities will be open for limited use: Mickel Library, Montgomery Student Center, Wilson Hall/Gee Dining Room.
- All residence halls will remain open and operate normally.
- Campus Safety and the Facilities Department will respond to campus-related concerns.
- Avoid any area of campus that has substantial standing water or has damage from a fallen tree. Never approach a downed power line.
Meals will continue on schedule during the weekend for residential students. Food and water supplies have been stocked in preparation of the storm. Foods that do not require cooking will be available in the event of a power interruption.
The College has canceled or postponed all events scheduled for this weekend and for Monday Any additional schedule changes will be communicated as soon as information becomes available.
Power failure to the college may occur, primarily due to outages off campus that cause campus issues. Do Not Panic. Exit upper floors by using the stairs. Proceed to the lobby areas and wait for instructions. The Residence Life Team and Campus Safety will assist and provide information regarding next steps. If assistance is required to move from upper floors to the first floor area, call Campus Safety.
A note from Campus Safety
Campus Safety Officers are always on duty – 24/7. We will strive to provide you with assistance, information, and peace of mind. If you have a concern, question, or need to report an issue, please contact us and we will do the best that we possibly can.