At Converse, students develop the abilities and skills needed to understand literature’s diversity and scope. With opportunities to experience diverse literary genres—from creative non-fiction to the epic to the novel—English majors gain a comprehensive understanding of the written word.
Converse’s low-residency MFA program for creative writers was selected by Publishers Weekly as one of their “MFA Programs to Watch”. Graduates have published with major NY publishers and acclaimed independent presses.
The mission of the English Department is to develop skilled readers, writers and critical thinkers with a strong foundation in literary studies developed within a liberal arts environment.
In addition to classroom involvement, students in the Department of English have opportunities to:
- Attend and participate in numerous fiction, poetry and non-fiction readings
- Spend time both informally and formally with a variety of visiting writers and scholars
- Take advantage of study-travel courses that can take you to Costa Rica, London, Transylvania, and beyond
- Develop marketable skills through professional writing and media internships with local, regional and national literary arts organizations, magazines, news media and publishers
- Experiment with quill-cutting, scribal hand-lettering, bookbinding, moveable-type relief printing and set type by hand in the Converse Book Lab
- Attend and participate in scholarly conferences; conferences have included the Victorians Institute, Culturing the Popular conference and the 2014 Okra to Opera Conference on Southern Culture.
Discover more about our undergraduate and graduate degrees through the links below, and then contact us for a campus visit. We’re eager to meet you!