At Converse, students develop the abilities and skills needed to understand literature’s diversity and scope. With opportunities to experience diverse literary genres—from creative non-fiction to the epic to the novel—English majors gain a comprehensive understanding of the written word.
New to Converse is the low-residency MFA program for creative writers. Students have been accepted to top programs in their field of interest, including MA, PhD, MFA and communications programs across the nation. The mission of the Department English is to develop skilled readers, writers and critical thinkers with a strong foundation in literary studies nurtured in a liberal arts environment.
In addition to classroom involvement, students in the Department of English have opportunities to:
- attend and participate in numerous fiction, poetry and non-fiction readings
- spend time both informally and formally with a variety of visiting writers and scholars
- take advantage of travel/study courses that can take you to Costa Rica, London, Transylvania, and beyond
- develop marketable skills through professional writing and media internships with local, regional and national literary arts organizations, magazines, news media and publishers
- attend and participate in scholarly conferences; recent conferences have included the Victorians Institute (2006, 2009 and 2015), a 2010 Culturing the Popular conference on popular culture, and the 2014 Okra to Opera Conference on Southern Culture
Discover more about our undergraduate and graduate degrees through the links below, and then contact us for a campus visit. We’re eager to meet you!