As a Converse student, you’ll be encouraged to connect your studies with real-life needs and opportunities in the surrounding community. By expanding the academic curriculum to include service elements, the Converse Service Learning Program offers a host of opportunities to apply your classroom knowledge and make a lasting impact at the same time. Past service learning classes have included:
- Freshman Composition: students learning about functional illiteracy and how it contributes to social problems, helping local public school students in the process;
- Political Violence and Genocide: students using their research to educate the local community on global issues and participating in a service day;
- School Art and Curriculum Methods: students enriching public school art programs through an after-school program for teens;
- Marketing Research: students working with Converse philanthropy specialists to conduct a pilot study with students and graduates on the nature and effectiveness of fundraising appeals; and
- Spanish Language students using their developing language and cultural skills to help K-5 children and their families “acclimatize” to both school and daily life in Spartanburg.