Do you want to continue your professional music training in an intensive, personalized environment?
The coeducational Master of Music in Performance at Converse College prepares men and women for doctoral study and successful musical careers.
“Majoring in Vocal Performance in the Petrie School of Music graduate program has really challenged me, encouraging me to strive to achieve up to and beyond my limits. I have found that the Petrie School of Music faculty is completely dedicated to creating a professional level of performance within the school, and also works to prepare students for the highly competitive field of music after college. I feel that through my experience there, I have excelled beyond my expectations, while also building up the confidence needed to help carry me through my future professional life.”
More reasons to choose Converse:
- Our faculty are professional artists who have collectively performed in 48 states and in 47 countries.
- Our reputation has attracted students from Ireland, Italy, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Panama, El Salvador, Ecuador, and beyond.
- Our remarkably low 7:1 student/teacher ratio ensures ongoing personal interaction with faculty.
- We were the first women’s college in the world to be named an all-Steinway school.
- Our graduates can be found on Broadway, in major symphony orchestras, opera houses, regional and municipal symphonies, jazz groups, chamber orchestras, colleges, universities and conservatories throughout the US and around the world.
All classes and private lessons are taught by Petrie faculty members. The low student/teacher ratio guarantees close connections and collaborations. The main focus is individual performance instruction, but the program also emphasizes music theory and history/literature, pedagogy and ensemble participation. Students attend weekly studio seminars conducted by their primary teachers and have the opportunity to perform in master classes offered by distinguished visiting artists.
Petrie school graduate students also have the opportunity to gain valuable teaching experience through Converse’s Lawson Academy of the Arts, which offers lessons for students of all ages, from preschoolers to adults.
Visit the graduate catalog for current course requirements for this degree.
The Petrie School of Music boasts an impressive number of performance opportunities including:
- Weekly student recitals
- A staged, costumed major opera presented each year by the Converse Opera Theatre in addition to one-act operas and opera scenes
- Performances by the Converse Symphony Orchestra
- Performances by the Spartanburg Festival Chorus which often include large-scale works with orchestra
- Performances by the Converse Wind Ensemble
- Several annual concerts by the Converse Chorale
- An apprentice program with the Spartanburg Philharmonic Orchestra affords further professional development for qualified students who pass an additional audition process.
Each year, some of the world’s most accomplished musicians visit the Petrie School to perform and conduct master classes. Recent artists include:
- Chanticleer, Grammy Award-winning chamber ensemble
- Joan Tower, Grammy Award-winning composer
- Libby Larsen, acclaimed composer and producer
- Boston Brass
- Guarneri String Quartet
- David Daniels, the world’s foremost countertenor
- Dame Evelyn Glennie, acclaimed solo percussionist and composer
The Petrie School of Music offers a number of graduate assistantships each year. Assistantships carry a waiver of College tuition and may also carry a stipend. Each assistantship carries specific duties and responsibilities. Learn more and apply.
For consideration of admission to the Master of Music in Performance program, the applicant should have the following credentials:
- Graduation from an accredited institution with a degree in Music
- Grades indicating likelihood for success in graduate studies. For full, non-provisional admission, the applicant must have an overall cumulative 2.75 GPA on a 4.0 scale of college work
- Successful audition and interview with Petrie School of Music faculty