Converse allows you to work directly with acclaimed scholars and writers at every level of your study as an English major. Our small class sizes allow for significant personal interaction with faculty and visiting scholars and writers.
Converse’s liberal arts education gives you the flexibility critical thinking, communication and creative problem-solving skills that offer you the advantage in a comptetive job market.
- You will emerge as a skilled reader, writer and critical thinker with a strong foundation in literary studies as well as a professional network of peers and industry leaders.
- You will have the opportunity to work one on one with faculty on your undergraduate research projects
- Converse hosts prestigious academic conferences and symposia which give students exposure to top scholars and the latest in academic scholarship right on campus.
- The Writer-in-Residence program gives students the chance to experience weekly one-on-one tutorials along with a series of master class workshops with an acclaimed visiting writer. This program is available during Jan term, every other year.
Be part of an award-winning tradition
Converse has a long history of developing award-winning writers and scholars. Current students and recent grads have continued this tradition, earning such awards as:
- The Hub City Prize for Creative Non-Fiction
- Placement as one of five college students chosen for the Georgia Pacific Scholarship
- Finalist for a Fulbright scholarship
- The award for the best student paper and best student presentation in the Humanities at the Upstate Research Symposium
Our faculty has received the following teaching awards:
- O’Herron Award for Faculty Excellence
- Kathryn Amelia Brown Teaching Award
- Curriculum Innovation Award
- The South Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities (SCICU) Excellence in Teaching Award