Dissertation is embedded in the coursework. For example, PLP 820, Current Issues in Leadership, taken early in the program, leads to the choice of a dissertation topic and the writing of Chapter One–Identification of the Problem. Subsequent courses lead to Chapter Two, the Literature Review; Chapter Three, Methodology; Chapter four, Analysis of Findings; Chapter five, Summary and Recommendations. The final semester Capstone Course provides an opportunity to review, edit, and defend the completed dissertation.
The Doctorate in Professional Leadership (EdD) at Converse is a 60-hour doctoral program designed for individuals across a variety of fields who seek a terminal degree. This degree will focus on the application of leadership in a variety of contexts, and is appropriate for individuals in a broad range of professional roles.
Affordable: Converse makes your investment in your career potential easier and more affordable than ever. For a comprehensive look at costs for Converse’s Professional Leadership programs, visit our graduate program tuition and financial planning page.
Accessible: Converse offers coursework, mentoring, and academic support in Greenville, Spartanburg, and online. With our low faculty-to-student ratio, your journey will be supported every step of the way.
Accomplish in 3 years or less:
• Designed for working professionals
• 60-hour doctoral program
• Cohort learning group and faculty mentors for support
• Embedded dissertation means your degree can be completed in three years.
Download our eGuide to learn more about the Doctorate in Professional Leadership.
Your degree path for the EdD in Professional Leadership will begin in the fall of the academic year, requiring three academic years and two full summers to complete the program with a course load of six credit hours per academic session (including fall, spring, summer I, and summer II). Courses will be paired in focus each semester, with one course meeting in person one night a week, and one course available online.
Courses include traditional areas such as leadership, management, and personnel theory as well as innovative courses in entrepreneurialism and legislative decision making. Five courses plus the capstone include production of, editing of, and defense of the traditional 5-chapter dissertation.
EdD in Professional Leadership with a concentration in Special Education
The Doctorate in Professional Leadership with a concentration in Special Education is designed for teachers and administrators who wish to familiarize themselves with best practices for leading special education initiatives at the building and district level. Currently, there is no endorsement or recommendation of coursework for special education administrators in the state of South Carolina. Converse’s concentration prepares individuals to design, oversee, and administer special education programs and familiarizes them with the recent laws and legislative decisions concerning special needs students.
Courses for Special Education Concentration
- PLP871 Special Education School Law (3 hours)
- PLP872 ADV Educational Procedures for Exceptional Learners (3 hours)
- PLP873 Special Education Supervision & Administration (3 hours)
- PLP874 Special Education Leadership Practices (3 hours)
For consideration of admission, the applicant must submit the following:
- Complete the Doctorate in Professional Leadership Application Form, including the $40 application fee.
- Official degree-granting undergraduate transcript and graduate transcripts from all colleges attended.
- Two professional letters of recommendation. Download the recommendation form here.
- Submit a professional resume/CV
- *A personal statement
* Your personal statement should be approximately one page (250 – 300 words). Describe either an experience that prompted you to seek entrance into the degree program to which you are applying OR your reasons for wanting to enter the degree program. In keeping with the Honor Tradition at Converse, your essay must be entirely your own work and must indicate by proper documentation any ideas or words that come from another source. Organize your essay clearly, proofread and spell-check your essay carefully. Your essay should include your personal reflection on the value of a degree in your field and more specifically, the Doctorate in Professional Leadership program at Converse.
More reasons to earn your Doctorate in Professional Leadership at Converse:
Veteran Faculty: Our top-tier faculty support your journey with extensive experience in a wide variety of high-level leadership roles.
Convenience: Converse’s Doctoral in Professional Leadership can be completed on our campus or at our alternate campus in Greenville at the University Center of Greenville. Students will be advised by cohort initially. A program orientation will be held after admissions are finalized. Each cohort will have a lead faculty member for year one and then cohort members will choose an advisor as they decide their dissertation topics and set up their committees.
Degree Prestige and Value: Our Professional Leadership programs were developed in collaboration with regional and national industry leaders to provide valuable professional development and advancement opportunities for those seeking to advance their careers.
The Graduate School
Converse is a nationally recognized and regionally accredited doctoral university.