Learning Without Borders 学无疆界
The Converse International School (CIS) offers students from partner universities outside the United States a rich educational experience, studying at Converse, a liberal arts university in the southern United States.
CIS students in our Anhui partnership complete their first two years of university work at their home universities in Anhui Province, China and the second two years at Converse. Graduates of this program earn a degree from Converse in Medical Technology. The program is a partnership between Converse and the College of Economics and Technology of Anhui Medical University.
CIS students in our Nanjing Le Mi partnership pursue their studies at Converse College in Spartanburg, SC, USA. Nanjing Le Mi Studios has a four-year bachelor’s degree cooperation with Converse in Music Performance and Music Education and is the only agency in China to cooperate with Converse in this regard. Nanjing Le Mi Cultural Industry Development Co., Ltd is an international educational organization that focuses on comprehensive educational services and consultation.
CIS students from our Dalian Art College partnership complete their first two years of university work at Dalian Art College and the second two to three years at Converse. Graduates of this program earn a degree from Converse in Music Performance.
Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology
Our Medical Technology major will teach you fundamental biomedical principles and help you gain laboratory skills in the biomedical sciences. You will also develop the written and spoken communication skills you need to be a successful medical technology professional. Offered in partnership with Anhui Medical University.
Sample Courses 样品课程
- General Zoology 一般动物学
- Microbiology 微生物学
- Intro to Immunology 免疫学简介
- Organic Chemistry 有机化学
- Elements of Physics 物理要素
Bachelor of Music in Performance
Converse’s Bachelor of Music in Performance focuses on individual performance instruction while incorporating music theory and history/literature, pedagogy and ensemble training. Students from throughout the world have made their way to Converse’s Petrie School of Music to study Performance with our artist-teacher faculty. Offered in partnership with Nanjing Le Mi Studios.
- Converse Opera Theatre, Converse Symphony Orchestra, or Converse Wind Ensemble
- Weekly private lesson and studio class with artist-teacher faculty
- Orchestral Literature, Opera Literature, Chamber Music Literature, Song Literature
Bachelor of Music in Music Education
Our music education degree and teacher certification allow you to share your passion for music in any educational setting – public school, private school, or studio practice. You will develop the knowledge and skills needed to adapt readily to your students’ needs. Experience large ensemble performance teacher training as well as Modern Band teacher training. You will get hands-on experience as a student teacher, and receive mentoring from our professors, all veteran educators and practitioners. The program is offered in partnership with Nanjing Le Mi Studios.
- Instrumental and Vocal Techniques classes
- Modern Band—students learn to create, arrange, and perform music that is popular to student cultures
- Music Education Forum—discussion of professional trends and topics
The Converse International School comprehensive fee for 2019-2020 for the Anhui program in Medical Technology is $37,309 per student. Tuition for other Converse International School programs is set in agreements with individual Chinese partner universities. Please contact Converse for more information.
- Live and study in the U.S. and immerse yourself in English language and American culture.
- Experience the personal attention and caring mentoring of Converse’s faculty.
- Work with Converse faculty members while at your home university.
- Maximize your success with internships and field experiences.
- Continue your study in one of Converse’s graduate programs.
- Broaden your vision of the world at an American university.
- Join a friendly community of smart, hard-working learners.
- Study in the liberal arts tradition and develop your skills in communication, critical thinking, and creative problem solving – top skills desired by all employers.
Converse is a private, liberal arts university with a women’s undergraduate college, and co-ed graduate and doctoral programs. Converse International School offers men and women a unique education that spans two countries and two universities.
Since 1889, Converse has educated students “to see clearly, decide wisely and act justly.” Our graduates are passionate global citizens whose energy, creativity and competence bring value to their professions and their communities.
- Top 5% of master’s universities in the nation by Washington Monthly
- Top 10% of colleges in the nation for enriching educational experiences by the National Survey of Student Engagement
- Converse is the top-ranked private Regional University in SC, a Top Regional College for Undergraduate Teaching, and a Top Ten Best Value by U.S. News & World Report
- Among the top private colleges in the nation for “excelling in access and success” by the U.S. Department of Education
PHOTO CREDIT: Spartanburg Herald-Journal/Alex Hicks Jr.
- 82% of courses are taught by full-time faculty
- 2 Accounting professors were named Professor of the Year by the South Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (SCACPA) and received the Kathryn Amelia Brown Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2 Medical Technology professors were given the Excellence in Teaching Award by South Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities (SCICU)
- According to the National Survey for Student Engagement (NSSE), Converse students more frequently work with faculty outside of class, speak with faculty about careers and graduate school, and receive direct feedback on their work than their peers at other schools
- 3 faculty members were named South Carolina Professor of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation
- Pulitzer Prize winning poet
- State Supreme Court Justice
- Broadway performers
- One of the nation’s top heart researchers
- Deputy crew commander for Titan IV Rocket launches at Cape Canaveral
- The first female circuit court judge in South Carolina
Our Core Values:
The Converse College commitment to creativity and the development of adaptable individuals with clear vision, wise decision and just action is guided by seven core values. These enduring beliefs serve as the compass for the College. They transcend time, extend across the institution and guide our actions and decisions.
- EXCELLENCE drives us to achieve the best in all that we pursue; to develop competence, confidence and courage to realize full potential in mind, body and spirit.
- INTEGRITY calls us to cultivate and exercise honor, character and vision in daily decisions and actions; to act honestly and justly when confronted with ethical dilemmas and life’s challenges.
- EXPLORATION compels us to think critically and creatively in the acquisition of knowledge and skills; to discover and enrich scholarship and research, disciplines, methods and vocations through hands-on learning and leadership and through discovery, discourse and debate.
- DIVERSITY inspires us to embrace the different perspectives, experiences, cultures, backgrounds, talents and contributions that comprise a global society; to enhance and expand inclusivity as we build a stronger multi-dimensional community.
- RESPECT leads us to value self and others, recognizing the legitimacy of individuality in belief, expression and perspective; to exercise civility, mindfulness and responsibility in words and actions.
- COMMUNITY motivates us to develop a dynamic network of relationships through a balance of work and play that nurtures the abilities of each member in order to establish a better whole; to mentor, collaborate and communicate as engaged citizens who effect positive change.
- PROGRESS challenges us to think strategically toward the future by employing creativity, adaptability, ingenuity and innovation; to advance and transform the world around us.
The comprehensive fee for Converse International School includes room and board. The best part of living here is being part of the community, where learning extends beyond the classroom. From chatting with your professors at lunch to building new friendships while getting your laundry done, Converse is a wonderful place to live and learn.
Female students will be housed in the residence halls together with other Converse juniors and seniors. Male students will be housed together in comparable residence halls on the Converse campus. The residence halls are staffed with a team of Community Advisors (CA), Peer Academic Coaches (PACs), Resident Directors (RD), and Assistant Directors of Residential Life (AD). This team is designed to help you use resources on and off campus that will enrich your academic and social life.
When dining at Converse, you can choose Gee Dining Room or Valkyries Station. Gee Dining Room serves soups, salads, sandwiches, multiple hot food options daily, fresh fruit, desserts, and a wide variety of hot and cold beverages. Valkyries Station is open from early morning to late evening and serves Starbucks beverages, build-your-own subs, fresh baked breads and wraps. You may also purchase treats and healthy snacks to-go.
Converse is situated in Spartanburg, South Carolina, nicknamed “Hub City” because of its history as a railroad hub. Spartanburg is a college town in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, with a thriving art and music scene, an active outdoor culture, and an urban population of roughly 190,000 citizens. Converse is within walking distance of restaurants, convenience stores, a grocery store, boutiques, parks and nightlife. Spartanburg is located between the major cities of Atlanta, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina. It is served by Greenville-Spartanburg and Charlotte-Douglas international airports. The climate is subtropical, with long humid summers, brief but beautiful autumns and springs, and mild winters. Temperatures can rise in the summers to 33° C and fall in the winters to -1° C.
Questions and Answers
Welcome to Converse College! We know there is so much you want to know about living in the United States and studying at Converse. Here are five frequently asked questions: