- Veteran Faculty: Our music education faculty have nearly 20 years of experience in the K-12 classroom and are active as researchers, clinicians, and leaders in the field of education.
- Degree Prestige and Value: Since 1910, the Petrie School of Music within Converse College has provided students with an exceptional musical education rooted in the liberal arts.
- Quality Education: Music education degree programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation for Educator Preparation (CAEP) and approved by the South Carolina Department of Education.
If you are a passionate musician ready to become a music teacher, the Master of Music degree in Music Education with Initial Certification will get you there.
It’s designed to enrich musicianship, enhance classroom and rehearsal instruction, and expand knowledge of current research in the field. The Master of Music in Music Education with Initial Certification will prepare you to take the examination to earn a teaching certificate and for doctoral studies in Music Education.
- M.M. in Music Education – Initial Certification
- Choral Emphasis
- Instrumental Emphasis
- M.M. in Music Education (for certified music teachers)
The Master of Music (M.M.) in Music Education with Initial Certification allows for a concentration in either choral or instrumental music education. You will graduate with teaching certification and will be prepared to teach K-12 choral or instrumental music in public schools or in a private studio environment. The program consists of 33 hours. Prerequisite courses in music will be assessed from your undergraduate transcript and will be need to be completed if not present.
In addition to coursework in such areas as music theory, history, performance studies, piano study, instrumental methods, ensemble participation, conducting, orchestration and teaching methods, you will complete twelve credit hours in student teaching during your final semester.
The worksheets below outline the academic requirements for the MM in Music Education with Initial Certification:
View the graduate catalog for current course requirements for this degree.
The Petrie School of Music offers a number of graduate assistantships each year. Assistantships carry a waiver of College tuition and may also carry a stipend. Each assistantship carries specific duties and responsibilities. Learn more and apply.
For consideration of admission to the M.M. in Music Education – Initial Certification program, the applicant should have the following credentials:
- Graduation from an accredited institution with a degree in Music.
- Grades indicating likelihood for success in graduate studies. For full, non-provisional admission, the applicant must have an overall cumulative 2.75 GPA on a 4.0 scale of college work.
- Competitive score on the Miller Analogies Test.
- Students who earned a minimum of 1100 on the two-part S.A.T. can exempt this requirement.
Applicants must also pass a 10-minute audition to verify competency in their performance area.
Year Begins with New Leadership, Inspiration, and Community Spirit
President Newkirk officially opened the 2016-2017 academic year by giving her first address to her new Converse family during Opening Convocation on Sept. 23. Student Government Association president Ariel Wingard …
Rainey Amphitheater Gives New Life to Former Clifton Mill
Breathing new life into historic materials from Spartanburg’s textile mill heritage, the new Rainey Amphitheater at Converse College was dedicated during a celebration held Friday, June 24th. Building materials for the project came from Clifton Manufacturing Company No. 2 Mill, which was built in 1888 by Converse founder Dexter Edgar Converse and dismantled in 2013.
Converse College, Brevard Music Center Legend Janiec Dies
As Converse College’s Petrie School of Music prepared to celebrate its centennial in 2010, Henry Janiec reflected on his 42 years as a faculty member, including 27 years as its …
School of Education & Graduate Studies
Converse is a nationally recognized and regionally accredited doctoral university.