- Opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research in neuroscience
- Opportunity to participate in professional development activities
- $10,000 stipend
- $5,000 for completing the summer research and developing a classroom research project to implement in the following school year.
- $2,500 for the implementation of the classroom project into their teaching.
- $2,500 stipend for the presentation of the project and participation in the Converse STAR Teachers of SC Conference.
- Allowance for mileage reimbursement available for commuters.
- Reduced on-campus rate is available to residential teachers.
- $2,000 for materials and supplies to implement the classroom research project.
- Continuing Education Credit from Converse University.
BIORETS: Research Experience for Teachers
BIORETS Research Experience for Teachers
Through the Research Experience for Teachers in Biological Sciences (BIORETs) summer program at Converse University, middle school and high school teachers in South Carolina will have the opportunity to work in the research laboratories. Teachers will gain hands-on lab work experiences working side-by-side with scientists, will participate in professional development workshops, and have the opportunity to mentor high school students who are a part of the research program. Over the summer, teachers are will be mentored to develop at least one lesson plan they can implement in their classrooms during the following school year. Converse science and education faculty will serve as a resource for teachers and students throughout the school year.
We will select 8 teachers to participate in the Summer 2023 BIORETs cohort. All accepted teachers must be science teachers who have a contract to teach during the 2024 school year. Priority will be given to teachers serving in the Spartanburg and Greenville County Public Schools. If you have questions about the program, please email Dr. Neval Ertürk at email@example.com.
The application portal is open until April 18, 2023.
- April 18, 2023: Applications due
- June 12 – July 21, 2023: Research and professional development activities at Converse University
- August 4, 2023: Converse University Summer Research Symposium
- January 2024: Star Teachers of South Carolina Symposium at Converse University
For questions please contact the program director, Dr. Neval Ertürk, Associate Provost of Research and Engagement and Professor of Biology.