On April 26, 2021, Krista L. Newkirk announced that she will be stepping down as President of Converse College, effective July 5, 2021. She has served as the 10th President of Converse College since July 1, 2016.
President Newkirk’s leadership and innovation has led Converse from a regional single-gender college to an internationally recognized co-educational university. With the work that has been done and the achievements of the last five years, Converse has positive momentum and a strong foundation for the academic advancement and organizational strength of Converse for both today and for future generations.
A nationwide search for the next President of Converse University will begin soon. The Converse Board of Trustees Chair Sandra Shearouse Morelli ’78 and the Converse Board of Trustees have appointed a search committee. The committee includes representatives from the Converse Board of Trustees, Converse students, faculty, staff, and alumni, as well as community members.
2021-22 Presidential Search Committee members
- Randall Chambers
- Phyllis Perrin Harris ‘82
- Ken Howard (Life Trustee)
- Karla Jones ‘85
- Wallace Davison Prestwood ’89
- Linda Layman Redding ‘88
Faculty, staff, and students
- Mike Kennedy, Assistant Vice President for Philanthropy
- Randy Loggins, Deputy Director of Athletics
- Karen Mims, Student Government Association President, ‘22
- Margaret Moore, Faculty Senate President and Associate Professor of Physical Education
- Madelyn Young, Associate Professor of Economics
- Boone Hopkins, Interim President
- Sandra Shearouse Morelli ’78, Converse Board of Trustees Chair
- Pamela Greenway, Senior Executive Assistant to the President and Assistant Secretary to the Board of Trustees