As a Special Education major at Converse, you will follow in the footsteps of award-winning teachers and school administrators. You will observe class instruction in nearby schools, participate in clinical experiences, implement skills learned in related coursework, and assist teachers with their roles.
Converse’s teacher preparation programs comprise a wide diversity of field and clinical experiences in public schools. Our faculty continually challenge students to integrate theory with practice.
More reasons to choose Converse:
- Our popular Comprehensive Special Education degree prepares you to become certified in both elementary education and special education. The career flexibility of dual certification sets our major apart from similar majors at other schools
- Our programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation for Educator Preparation (CAEP), approved by the South Carolina Department of Education and enjoy certification reciprocity with many other states
- With our low student-to-faculty ratio you will receive individual attention from faculty and advisors; we help you balance your educational goals with your individual needs
- You will participate in student teaching opportunities giving you first-hand experience with students of various ages and challenges
- The majority of Special Education students have a job within six months of graduation; many students have secured positions prior to graduation
- Converse Education majors consistently score above the state and national average on the Praxis subject assessments
- You will observe and assist teachers in local schools