Converse’s teacher preparation programs comprise a wide diversity of field and clinical experiences in public schools. Our program prepares you to become an effective teacher with an in-depth knowledge base of your field and appropriate teaching strategies for the developmental level of your students, guided by our faculty who continually challenge students to integrate theory with practice.
Converse’s state-approved MAT in Secondary Level English will help you become a well-qualified, proficient teacher in the high school classroom. This degree is designed for those holding a bachelor’s degree in a field other than education.
Our Master of Arts in Teaching Secondary English program prepares you to become an effective teacher with an in-depth knowledge of the English field and appropriate teaching strategies for the developmental level of your students. After completing certification requirements you will be certified to teach in grades 9-12.
The purpose of this program is to prepare students to become effective teachers. The goal is to provide them with an in-depth knowledge base of their field and appropriate teaching strategies for the developmental level of their students.
- Candidates will analyze adolescent development and learning.
- Candidates will observe, document, and assess and support a struggling reader.
- Candidates will employ developmentally appropriate approaches.
- Candidates will use content knowledge to build meaningful curriculum.
Applicants must have the following:
- Graduation from an accredited college;
- Overall GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale for full admission;
- A major undergraduate program appropriate for the requested teaching area;
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- Completed online application, including the $40 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation (with at least one from an academic source)
- Official degree-granting undergraduate transcript and graduate transcripts from all colleges attended.
- *A personal statement
*Converse’s founder, Dexter Edgar Converse, held the ideal that Converse students “may be enabled to see clearly, decide wisely, and to act justly.” Please write a personal statement, approximately 250-300 words in length, on how your personal goals as an educator tie with the Converse concept of The “Ideal” Educator. In keeping with the Honor Tradition at Converse, your essay must be entirely your own work. Please be specific on how Converse can help you become the “Ideal” Educator, taking special care to organize your essay clearly and proofread your work. The personal statement should be submitted as a part of the application or emailed to the Office of Graduate Admission.
Converse’s goal is to develop teachers with the cultural characteristics and school practices that reflect the needs of the students and the school philosophy.
Our English candidates will complete a major in English which includes a minimum of 33 semester hours of English above the 100 level. You will also complete certain courses within or in addition to the major. These courses ensure study of the language, composition, and literature for future English teachers. In addition, prospective teachers of English must complete hours in professional education and psychology. You must maintain a GPA of 3.0 in content area courses as well as a 3.0 GPA in overall program coursework.
Components of the MAT degree in Secondary Level English:
- Provide a thorough course of study in human growth and development;
- Develop skills in appropriate pedagogy and classroom management;
- Promote a broad knowledge of the history, theory, and professional practices promote a broad knowledge of the history, theory, and professional practices that are related to secondary English education;
- Demonstrate computer proficiency in instructional technology including the knowledge of skills, strategies, software and hardware to be used in classroom management and computer-assisted instruction;
- Plan, implement and assess instruction in simulated settings and in real classroom settings as a student teacher*;
- Organize and effectively manage placement in the public schools in grades 9 through 12.
*The PRAXIS II exam is taken by students before the completion of student teaching.
Additional Program Details
*Tuition and fees subject to change
Learn about Financial Aid opportunities.
More reasons to choose Converse:
Veteran Faculty: Our faculty has extensive experience in public education as teachers, administrators, or special consultants.
Quality Education: Our curriculum is aligned with professional standards and meets all the requirements for national approvals by the Council for Accreditation for Educator Preparation (CAEP), approved by the South Carolina Department of Education. You will be qualified for certification reciprocity with many other states.
Community Partnerships: We enjoy close proximity to and partnerships with local public schools enabling you to have diverse experiences in a variety of schools while introducing you to a broad spectrum of student populations and work opportunities.
Clinical Experiences: The teacher education curriculum at Converse includes sequential clinical experiences in public school settings. You will complete at least two of these clinical experiences prior to student teaching.
Convenience: Flexibility is essential for students who manage busy work schedules and personal commitments. Most required courses are conducted after 4 p.m., accommodating students’ busy schedules. We work with students one-on-one to accommodate their specific needs, allowing them to balance their work life, personal life and school.
Degree Prestige and Value: Since 1890, Converse has provided students with education rooted in the liberal arts. Converse graduates are principled and productive citizens capable of creative thinking and problem solving.
2024 Converse Emerging Young Artists Juried Exhibition Accepting Entries
Converse’s Department of Art and Design will begin accepting entries for the 2024 Emerging Young Artists Juried Exhibition on December 1, 2023. High school students in grades 9-12 are invited to …
Converse Hosts Hub City Bowl-Making Session
On Saturday, July 15, 2023, Converse University’s Department of Art and Design collaborated with Hub City Empty Bowls to host a bowl-making session. Hub City Empty Bowls is a grassroots …
Converse Grad Publishes Book on Art Education & Sustainability
Converse graduate Joy G. Bertling ’05, PhD, has published Art Education for a Sustainable Planet: Embracing Ecopedagogy in K-12 Classrooms through Teachers College Press. Released in June 2023, this book explores how …
The Graduate School
Converse is a nationally recognized and regionally accredited doctoral university.