- Get hands-on training through teaching experiences with adults and children in the community in both traditional and contemporary music education settings.
- Experience Modern Band and other contemporary music education settings that are shaping our classrooms. Converse is one of only two schools in South Carolina to offer the Modern Band teacher preparation.
- Our music education faculty have considerable experience in the K-12 classroom and are active as researchers, clinicians, and leaders in the field of education.
- Our low student/teacher ratio ensures ongoing personal interaction with faculty.
- Take unique, interdisciplinary courses and honors classes.
- Continue to grow as a musician with a myriad of performance opportunities.
If you are truly passionate about the power of music, a Music Education degree and teacher certification will allow you to share that passion in any educational setting – public school, private school, or studio practice. You’ll develop the knowledge and skills needed to adapt readily to constant changes in the field. You will explore all aspects of music, including performance, theory, history, and teaching techniques. You will get hands-on experience as a student teacher, and receive mentoring from our professors, all veteran educators and practitioners.
Consider studying Music Education to become a classroom music teacher.
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education
“I came to Converse because of its music program and inviting community. I have grown in my singing abilities and learned so much about who I really am. I have met people that I know are going to be my lifelong friends. “Sommerset Sewell ’22
As a Petrie School of Music student, you’ll have opportunities to study and perform both nationally and internationally.
Student Leadership Opportunities
Converse’s Collegiate Chapter of the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) will allow you to develop leadership skills as a future teacher. Music education students participate and attend music education conferences (virtually and in-person) to better prepare them for the field and to network with future employers and colleagues.
The Music Education degree at Converse University offers a very practical and well-rounded curriculum for talented musicians. At the end of your studies, you will be eligible to become a certified music teacher for grades K-12 in public or private schools.
- Technique Classes (woodwind, brass, percussion, strings, voice)
- Fundamentals of Conducting
- Choral Methods
- Instrumental Methods
- Music Theory
- Large Ensemble (Choir, Band, Orchestra)
- Private Lessons
- Modern Band
What are common careers in Music Education?
- K-12 music teacher
- College professor
- Band director
- Orchestra conductor
- Choral director
- General music specialist
- Church music director
- Private lesson instructor
What are Music Education alumni doing?
The quality of education that our teachers-in-training receive empowers them to teach music with a student-centered approach. Our graduates are teaching across the United States in various school settings, including Pk-12 bands, choirs, orchestras, general music, and more.
There is a nationwide teacher shortage, which includes music education. Our students are employed and working in public, private, and charter schools all across the United States.
Five Music Students Advance to SCNATS Mid-Atlantic Regionals
Congratulations to our Converse music students for advancing during the SC National Association of Teachers of Singing (SCNATS) Musical Theatre and Contemporary Music auditions in Fall 2021. These exemplary performers …
Music Education Grad Wins SC “Heart of the Arts Award”
Susan Wines ’08 was presented with the National Federation of High Schools “Heart of the Arts Award” for the state of South Carolina. Wines is the orchestra teacher at Wade …
See Where Class of 2021 Grads are Headed!
Our 2021 seniors have bright futures ahead of them. See where students in the Converse Class of 2021 have been accepted to continue their studies: Phylicia Allen (Nisbet Honors): Augusta …