- We are accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- Our students win regional and national interior design competitions
- Graduates of our program practice across the USA, enter graduate programs, become NCIDQ certified, and are LEED GA accredited designers
- Our Interior Design studios are equipped with industry-standard design software, a plotter and private storage spaces.
- Our internships allow students to engage with professionals and learn while working in the field
- Interior design professors are professionals with successful private practice experience
Converse’s Interior Design program guides students to apply a sophisticated level of thinking and research to designing and developing the spaces in which people live, work, play, eat, learn and heal. Accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA), Converse’s BFA in Interior Design explores design innovation, functionality and safety in various forms of architecture, environmental design, graphic design, and industrial design.
Study with our esteemed faculty who are industry professionals and develop a deep understanding of interior design’s technical and artistic aspects for a variety of public and private interior environments.
- BFA in Interior Design
Our course schedules are customized so students can meet and travel together to attend professional activities. Students network with interior designers, lighting designers and product experts at businesses and showrooms in The Upstate. Our students attend industry meetings and conferences, and are encouraged to join professional organizations.
Every interior design major has the opportunity to participate in a professional design work experience with an interior design or architectural firm. Students are often recruited for full-time positions upon graduation by employers they have interned with. You’ll be confident to intern at any design firm in the country with a competitive résumé and portfolio.
Our interior design students have interned at businesses including:
- Milliken Floor Coverings
- LS3P, Inc.
- Resort Interiors
- Fluor Enterprises, Inc.
- Signature Kitchens
- Swallowtail Architecture
- C. Taylor Interiors, Inc
- Preston Design Collaborative
- Young Office
- SGA Architecture
- Compass Office Solutions
- H. Hendy Associates
BFA in Interior Design
The studio sequence along with meaningful interactions with interior designers, architects and lighting experts, prepares you for the real world of interior design practice. You will study art, design, history and technology and learn to use the creative process to solve complex problems. Our interior design alumni consistently recruit for internships and full-time jobs from our program.
The curriculum includes specialized courses in colors, textiles, lighting, materials, design history, construction documents, computer technology, and business practices that support the core studios and provide a well-rounded interior design education. An exhibit of your work is part of your senior coursework. Student work is exhibited throughout Milliken Fine Arts Building year-round.
Use of software and internet research is an important component of all interior design courses. Interior Design majors are required to have their own laptop computers. Learn about laptop and software requirements.
Watch highlights from the Interior Design Senior Capstone Projects
Our alumni are employed by interior design firms, architecture and engineering firms, office furniture dealerships, manufacturers of interiors’ products, facility design/real estate properties departments, and retail showrooms.
- 100% of our 2017 Interior Design graduates had a job in their field either at graduation or within six months.
- The Human Resources manager at Web-Don, Inc. described our students as “exceptionally smart and focused students….rock stars…No wonder you have such a high placement rate.”
See interior design student projects here.
Graduating Class of 2020
- 100% of freshmen interior design majors continued to their second year.
- 71% of freshmen interior design majors graduated; 100% of these students graduated within 4 years.
- 28% of transfer students completed less than 4 years on campus.
Student Achievement and Outcomes
- 100% of interior design students completed an internship.
- 14% worked part-time in the interior design field during their senior year.
- 57% were employed in the interior design field within three months after graduation.
- 85% of students were employed within eight months after graduation.
- No students applied to graduate programs.
Data collected from institutional records and program reports. *Please note the COVID-19 pandemic has adversely affected outcomes.
Highlights from the 2022 Interior Design Capstone Exhibition
Converse Interior Design students celebrated their Senior Capstone exhibition with a reception in Milliken Art Gallery. Students worked extensively on their design projects and created an outstanding variety of artistic …
Interior Design Student Wins Hospitality Industry Scholarship
Anna Lee ’24 was awarded the Hospitality Industry Network (NEWH) scholarship. Anna, a first-generation student, was the only student awarded within the South Carolina Regional Area. She was featured in …
Converse Awards Two Endowed Professorships in Fine Arts
The President’s Office at Converse University is pleased to announce the recipients of two endowed professorships in Fine Arts. Dr. Kelly McElrath Vaneman has received the Mary Reynolds Babcock Distinguished …