- Our low faculty-student ratio ensures that you will receive the personal attention you need to make your vision flourish.
- From the Seven Core Values to interdisciplinary courses to the Creative Collaboration Grants, exploring the intersection of disciplines is a fundamental part of Converse’s creative culture.
- Our Center for Career Development can provide general advising and help you explore options, interests, and talents to help you align your major with your life goals.
- Forge a distinctive path with your individualized major, opening up endless career opportunities.
Converse’s Individualized Major empowers you to self-design a program linking at least three academic disciplines. Blaze a unique trail and design a creative pathway connecting multiple programs of study to fit your specific interests. You will work with faculty mentors to customize your academic experience and earn either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science with a title you and your advisor will determine together.
- You will earn either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science with a title you and your advisor will determine together.
Our students participate in some sort of experiential learning opportunity before graduation. As you design your individualized major, every opportunity we offer is at your fingertips. Here are a few things you might decide to incorporate:
- Service Learning
- Campus Clubs
- Study Travel
- Class Excursions
- Independent Research
- Creative Projects
Consider completing your individualized major within the invitation-only Nisbet Honors Program. This combination helps you make every course count in multiple ways, as well as providing extra guidance (and possibly even funding) to help you implement your dream major.
Designing your Individualized Major is a team effort – it will involve your advisor, the department chair in each participating department, and the Associate Provost for Student Success. During your freshman and sophomore year, you’ll learn how to put together your proposal. You will develop a clear interdisciplinary theme and provide a list of proposed courses linked by that theme. Before the end of your sophomore year you’ll submit it for approval through the department and the Curriculum Committee. That process alone is a uniquely valuable experience that will give you uncommon preparation for common working-world situations.
During spring term of your senior year, you’ll give a presentation on your capstone; members of the Converse community are invited to attend the presentation.
Sample Individualized Majors
- Human-Computer Interactions (combining computer science, math and psychology)
- Global Technology and Business Accounting (combining international business, computer science and accounting)
- Oral and Written Communications Studies (combining psychology, English and theatre)
- Technical Production (combining art, music, & theatre)
- Social Entrepreneurship (combining politics, marketing and economics)
View the Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) Individualized Major requirements.
The career paths taken by our Individualized Major students are as unique and varied as the students themselves. The sky’s the limit! What do YOU want to explore?
Converse Honors the Late Dr. Jeffrey H. Barker with Presidential Portrait Unveiling
On Thursday, January 26, 2023, the Converse community gathered together in Dalton Lobby in Wilson Hall to celebrate the life, honor the legacy, and reveal the presidential portrait of Dr. …
Converse Mourns the Loss of Dr. James Geraty Harrison
Dr. James Geraty Harrison, 86, passed away on December 27, 2022. At Converse, Dr. Harrison served as Associate Professor Emeritus of Classics, Head Librarian and was Converse’s first Archivist — …
Converse Design Students Honored at 2022 IFDA Carolinas Event
Two Converse University Interior Design students were honored at The International Furnishings and Design Association’s (IFDA) Night of Luminaries & Rising Stars. The IFDA Carolinas Chapter honored outstanding design students from …