Converse’s Alternative Certification in Art Education program prepares undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students to teach art in the K-12 setting in South Carolina.
Converse University’s Alternative Certification in Art Education program is an introductory intensive with three online courses and monthly, on-campus meetings. These face-to-face opportunities allow you to develop a collaborative community of “teaching artists.” You will complete the Alternative Certification in Art Education in three years, earning a standard, professional certification while simultaneously holding employment in a South Carolina public school.
Approved by the SC Department of Education, our alternative certification program welcomes candidates who hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher. The program is also open to candidates who have attempted another approved preparation certification program through a regionally accredited institution of higher education but did not complete it.
The Alternative Certification in Art Education program at Converse is designed to allow participants to reap the benefits of full employment in a South Carolina school district while gaining knowledge and support from peers and highly qualified instructors in Art Education. All coursework can apply towards a Masters in Education (MEd) – Art Education, should the participant so choose at the successful conclusion of the alternative certification process.
Email Jill Feist for information to register for SCDE approved courses in Art Education. Converse’s Alternative Certification in Art Education begins with an introductory, two-week, on-campus summer intensive followed by three online courses spread over three years:
- ART 501: School Art Curriculum and Methods (3 credit hours)
- ART 500: Elementary Art Methods & Management (3 credit hours) OR ART 516: Secondary Art Methods & Management (3 credit hours)
- EDU 525: R2S Content Reading and Writing (3 credit hours)
More Reasons to Choose Converse
Veteran Faculty: Our award-winning faculty are active as researchers, clinicians, and leaders in their field.
Quality Education: Our cohort model and low student-faculty ratio allow students to garner individual attention from instructors, leading to a more in-depth program of study.
Convenience: Flexibility is essential for our students who manage busy work schedules and personal commitments. Most of the coursework is online; however, it includes monthly Saturday meetings on-campus to develop a collaborative community of artists and teachers. This program must be completed within a three-year period.
Degree Prestige and Value: Since 1890, Converse has provided students with education rooted in the liberal arts. Our graduates are principled and productive citizens capable of creative thinking and problem-solving.
Cost & Financial Aid
|2020-2021 Tuition||$416/credit hour|
|Term Access Fee||$80 each Fall/Spring term; $50 Summer term|
|Summer Introduction Course Fee||$250|
|Membership in National Art Education Association||$85|
|Books and Supplies||Approximately $100|
*Tuition and fees subject to change
Applicants must have:
- An application for Converse Special Status Student and an application for the Converse Teacher Education Program. This application will allow a participant to take up to 12 credit hours. The applicant can transfer these credits to MEd Art Education online/low-residency program when they have completed certification if desired.
- A Statement of Disclosure of Felonies and Misdemeanors.
- A Statement of Disclosure that the applicant did not student teach in a traditional teacher preparation program or attempt to complete another alternative certification program.
- A passing score on the Praxis 2: Art Content and Analysis and GPA of 2.75 with a 2.50 the minimum for provisional acceptance. The GPA in the content area major or the GPA in the last sixty hours of coursework may be used to meet this requirement.
- A current, all-clear FBI/SLED fingerprint background check.
- Completed a file/dossier for teaching with State Department of Education as an Alternative Certification Applicant.
- A conferred Bachelor’s degree in Studio Art, Fine Arts with Visual Arts or Graphic Arts Cognate from an accredited institution with transcripts from all institutions on file with the Converse Graduate Admissions Office.
- A Letter of Employment as a PK-12 Art Specialist in a South Carolina School District or Charter School.
School of Education & Graduate Studies
Converse is a nationally recognized and regionally accredited doctoral university.