The Converse Alternative Certification in Art Education (CACAE) program prepares post-baccalaureate students to teach art in the K-12 setting in South Carolina.
The CACAE program is an introductory intensive experience with online courses and monthly, on-online meetings with the SC New Art Teacher Forum. These opportunities allow you to develop a collaborative community of support for teaching art. You will complete the CACAE program in three years, earning a standard, professional certification while simultaneously holding employment in a South Carolina public school.
Approved by the SC Department of Education, the CACAE program welcomes candidates who hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher in studio art or a closely related field.
The Converse Alternative Certification in Art Education program is designed to allow participants to reap the benefits of full employment in a South Carolina school district while gaining knowledge and support from peers and highly qualified instructors in Art Education. All coursework can apply towards a Masters in Education (MEd) – Art Education through Converse, should the participant choose at the successful conclusion of the alternative certification process.
Email Dr. Susanne Gunter for information to register for SCDE-approved courses in Art Education for the Converse Alternative Certification in Art Education.
CACAE begins with an introductory, two-week, online summer intensive or winter intensive followed by three online courses spread over three years:
- ART 564: Introduction to Art Education (0 credit hours)
- ART 501: School Art Curriculum and Methods (3 credit hours)
- ART 500: Elementary Art Methods & Management (3 credit hours) OR ART 516: Secondary Art Methods & Management (3 credit hours)
- EDU 525: R2S Content Reading and Writing (3 credit hours)
More Reasons to Choose Converse
Veteran Faculty: Our award-winning faculty are active as researchers, clinicians, and leaders in their field.
Quality Education: Our cohort model and low student-faculty ratio allow students to garner individual attention from instructors, leading to a more in-depth program of study.
Convenience: Flexibility is essential for our students who manage busy work schedules and personal commitments. Most of the coursework is online; however, it includes some online meetings during coursework to keep you on track and one monthly online group meeting to develop a collaborative community of artists and teachers. This program must be completed within a three-year period.
Degree Prestige and Value: Since 1889, Converse has provided students with education rooted in the liberal arts. Our graduates are principled and productive citizens capable of creative thinking and problem-solving.
Applicants must have:
- An application for Converse Special Status Student and an application for the Converse Teacher Education Program. This application will allow a participant to take up to 12 credit hours. The applicant can transfer these credits to the MEd Art Education online/low-residency program when they have completed certification if desired.
- A Statement of Disclosure of Felonies and Misdemeanors.
- A Statement of Disclosure that the applicant did not student teach in a traditional teacher preparation program or attempt to complete another alternative certification program.
- A current, all-clear FBI/SLED fingerprint background check. Completed a file/dossier for teaching with the State Department of Education as an Alternative Certification Applicant.
- A conferred Bachelor’s degree in Studio Art, Fine Arts with Visual Arts or Graphic Arts Cognate from an accredited institution with transcripts from all institutions on file with the Converse Graduate Admissions Office.
- A Letter of Employment as a PK-12 Art Specialist in a South Carolina School District or Charter School.
2023-24 CACAE Tuition and Fees*
Tuition/fees/books for ART 564 (Introduction to Art Education): $380
Tuition/fees/books/SCAEA dues for ART 501 (School Art Curriculum and Methods): $1,550
Tuition/fees/books/SCAEA dues for ART 500 (Elementary Art Methods and Management) or ART 516 (Secondary Art Methods and Management): $1,550
Tuition/fees/books/SCAEA dues for EDU 525 (Reading in the Content Area): $1,550
*Tuition and fees subject to change; Financial aid is not offered for non-degree-seeking students
The Graduate School
Converse is a nationally recognized and regionally accredited doctoral university.