Dance is an art form that crosses the boundaries of culture. The Lawson Academy is excited to offer our unique dance program ‘Rhythms of India’ to the Upstate, bringing this exciting and diverse dance style to students of all ages.
Our dance classes feature experienced and dedicated teachers from around the world, and are designed to be affordable and accessible. Ask about our referral discounts!
Class Fee: $120 for twelve 60-minute classes (exceptions noted)
- Ages 7 and up
- Mondays 5:00—6:00 pm
- An introduction to Bharathnatyam (Classical) and Bollywood (Contemporary) Indian dance forms
- Experience both high-energy and graceful movement and a taste of Indian culture and heritage
Instructor: Sunitha Raj, star of over 50 Indian films and teacher here and abroad for over 25 years
Experience a dramatic, vibrant introduction to the two most popular forms of Indian dance, Bharathnatyam (Classical) and Bollywood (Contemporary). While Classical Indian dance draws its essence and emotions from Indian culture and traditions dating back over 3000 years, Bollywood draws from innovative dance styles from all around the world, including jazz, hip-hop, Mediterranean, and Latin, all blended with aspects of Indian classical and folk dances. Students will be trained in the basics of both dance forms. Instructor Sunitha Raj, star of over 50 Indian films and dance teacher both here and abroad for over 25 years, will offer one class for all levels.
Attire: Loose-fitting shirt and tights. No shoes should be worn (socks optional).
- Private Ballet instruction available for male and female students of all ages and levels
- Private Pointe instruction for those evaluated as ready to dance en pointe (Ballet lessons will be scheduled immediately before Pointe lessons for warmup)
- Contact our office to schedule lessons
The Lawson Academy Dance program began in the 1960s after the completion of the Montgomery Student Center and its dance studio. The main focus of the then Pre-College dance department was Ballet, and while our program has evolved over the years to include a variety of dance genres, Ballet still remains as one of our offerings.
Instructor: Maryanna Caggiano, alumna of the Lawson Academy, Ballet Spartanburg, and Carolina Ballet Theatre
$30 per 30-minute lesson
$45 per 60-minute lesson
Attire: Contact instructor