Housed in the Zimmerli Performance Center, renowned for its outstanding acoustics and home to some of the most celebrated musical events in the region, Twichell Auditorium is a treasured jewel of the Spartanburg community.
Built in 1899 and renovated in 1989 as part of Converse’s Centennial Celebration, this 1,500-seat auditorium houses a 57-rank Casavant Freres organ with 2,600+ pipes. The auditorium has hosted such famed artists as Tony Bennett, Chet Atkins, George Burns, Duke Ellington, Burl Ives, Itzhak Perlman, Yo Yo Ma, and Marilyn Horne. It is named as a historic John Philip Sousa site to commemorate the many performances given by Sousa and his band in the early twentieth century. Greeting visitors in front of the auditorium is the graceful 8-foot bronze sculpture of legendary contralto singer and civil rights pioneer Marian Anderson, created by artist Meredith Bergmann.
While Twichell is home to the Converse College Petrie School of Music concerts and operas and other campus events, it also regularly welcomes community groups such as The Greater Spartanburg Philharmonic and Ballet Spartanburg for their performances. Converse’s Formal Opening Convocation, Baccalaureate Service, Commencement Exercises, Senior Candlelight Dinner and student body meetings such as SGA Installations are held here.
In the front right foundation wall is a time capsule. The original time capsule, dated A.D. 1898, was opened in 1989 as part of the Centennial Celebration, and its contents are on display in Mickel Library. The current time capsule was placed in the cornerstone on October 16, 1988.
Parking: Public parking is available at the Fairview parking lot on North Fairview Avenue.