Faculty and Staff Recognized for Service and Commitment
May 20, 2018
The Converse community celebrated the achievements of several faculty and staff members during the College’s annual Employee Appreciation Luncheon in April. Individuals were recognized with Converse’s Above & Beyond Awards, Years of Service Awards, and special recognition was made for those retiring at the end of the academic year for their service to the College.
Above & Beyond Awards
The Student Success Committee at Converse recognized two members of the College community, nominated by students, who have gone above and beyond in their respective roles. These recipients were described in their nominations as great mentors and advisors who are enthusiastic, supportive, and encouraging in their work with students.
- Dr. David Church, Adjunct Instructor in Healthcare Administration at Converse College and Vice President for Oncology and Support Services at Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System
- Tori McLean, Director of Leadership, Development and Orientation and Assistant Director of Residential Life
Years of Service Awards
Converse recognizes the following employees for years of service to the College:
- Glenn Abel, Online Experience Manager
- Andrea Elliott, Instructor of Art and Design
- Pamela Greenway, Administrative Assistant, Accounting and Administration
- Dr. Chandra Owenby Hopkins, Faculty Intercollegiate Athletic Representative and Assistant Professor of Theatre
- Dr. Julie Jones, Assistant Professor of Education and Director of Student Teaching
- Dr. Kelly Kennedy, Assistant Professor, Director and Chair of Marriage and Family Therapy Program
- Mike Kennedy, Assistant Vice President for Philanthropy
- Katie Mancebo, Head Tennis Coach
- Kelsi Pack, Director of Compliance
- Donna Rawls, Database Programmer
- Ann Tucker, Admissions Data Entry Specialist and Office Manager
- Leah Anderson, Public Relations Manager
- Barbara Austin, Education and Graduate Programs Administrative Assistant and Budget Manager
- Ruth Beals, Owings Associate Professor of Interior Design
- Stacey Brewer, Administrative Assistant to the President
- Nancy Gage, Database Programmer
- Renee Hill, Coordinator and Systems Support
- Dr. Dee Malone, Associate Professor of Education and Director of Special Education
- Janae O’Shields, Assistant Director of the Lawson Academy of the Arts and Director of the Fine Arts Day Camp
- Jodi Strehl, Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance
- Cindy Mason, Cash Receipts/Generalist
- Janet Broome, Assistant Director for Admissions Operations
- Dr. Peter Brown, Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Jill Feist, Admissions Data Specialist
- Sabrina Wilson, Administrative Assistant, Center for Professional Development
- Dr. Scott Robbins, Professor of Musicology and Composition
- Larry Jones, Director of Campus Safety
- Dr. David Berry, Professor of Musicology and Composition
- Dr. Cathy Jones, Associate Professor of French and Director of Women’s Studies
- Lannie Rudicill, Campus Safety Shift Sergeant
- Margaret Moore, Associate Professor of Physical Education
The following employees were recognized for years of service and contributions to the College upon their retirement.
- Mary Brown, Registrar
Mary Brown served as Registrar at Converse for 27 years, and is well known for her professionalism, consistency, and fairness while showing students real concern and care for their success.
- Dr. Brant Bynum, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
For 30 years, Dr. Bynum has served Converse in a variety of roles. He is one of the most respected members of the College faculty, and has contributed greatly to the academic and student life communities.
- Geri Hurlbut, Associate Professor of Art Therapy (11 years)
In her 11 years at Converse, Hurlbut worked to develop a number of internship and service learning experiences, both locally and abroad, that provided practical learning opportunities for students.
- Dr. Elizabeth York, Professor of Music Therapy
Thirteen years ago, Dr. York was the first faculty member hired in Music Therapy at Converse. She is known as a skilled and passionate teacher, an advocate for her profession, a scholar, and a key contributor to service at the College.
- Tom Maynard, Instructor of Economics and Business
Professor Maynard taught courses in economics, accounting and business at Converse College for 29 years. He is credited with developing continuing education courses and a customized professional development course for local business.