This five-day intensive vocal workshop will concentrate on performance preparation, with individual focused attention from the faculty, as well as group sessions encompassing wide range of relevant and practical topics for the serious singer. Opera scenes are assigned in advance and will be staged and performed at the end of the week.
Check back for 2019 workshop dates
The five-day workshop will include voice lessons with both voice teachers, staged opera scenes, individual coaching on solo pieces and opera scenes, masterclass participation, and class sessions. Performance opportunities will include a public performance of solo repertoire and opera scenes.
Topics to be covered will include:
- Physical warm-ups for singers
- Role preparation and character development
- Subtexting for Opera and Art Song
- Improving Memorization Skills
- Preparation of Program Notes
- The Business of Singing
What to Bring:
- Music for lessons and performances
- Classical solo repertoire and at least one musical theatre selection
- Formal performance attire
- Casual clothing for daily work (including morning work-out attire)
- For those staying on-campus bring bedding, towels, and toiletries
Applicants who are not current Converse College students are asked to submit a YouTube video of themselves singing one or two classical pieces representative of their current level of singing. The video will be used to help identify appropriate opera scenes.
There is no application fee. Tuition for the program is $600, which includes all lessons, masterclasses, coaching sessions, and performances. Participants who pay in full by April 15 will be given a 15% discount. On-campus housing, with meals included, is available for $200.
Commuter students may pay $50 to cover lunch and dinner in the Dining Hall for the 5 days of the Institute. All participants will receive breakfast food each morning.
When your application is completed, you will be directed to the site for payment of tuition and fees.