The MAT in Art Education at Converse College prepares the graduate student who is seeking initial teacher certification through courses pertaining to all areas included in teaching art students. The focus is on developing curricula and providing appropriate instructional methods for teaching art in grades Pre-K-12, as well as identifying and appropriately serving students in special populations (gifted, underachievers, minorities, students with disabilities). Adding to past studio art experiences, as well as the study of art history, are facets of the art education program. Intensive practical classroom experience completes the educational program for professionals in art education.
The student will be able to:
- demonstrate competencies in art production and art history;
- demonstrate competencies in art education by advancing through the education component benchmarks;
- articulate verbal and written mastery of understanding artistic styles and principles; and
- model the professional components of the field of art education.
- Unit Work Samples, Teacher Reflective Statements, and additional components of SAFE-T.
- Studio art portfolio of Graduate Exhibition.