Are you creative, artistic and business-minded? Would you like to help people improve the quality of their lives? Do you tend to pay attention to your surroundings? Do you like to redesign your personal space?
Consider a career in Interior Design! Interior designers create the spaces in which people live, work, play, eat, learn and heal.
- BFA in Interior Design
About Interior Design
The BFA in Interior Design at Converse is a professional degree that prepares students to create beautifully functional, healthy and safe interior environments. You will develop manual and digital expertise in graphic visualization and presentation, and build an extensive knowledge base of current products and practices in use by design professionals.
- We are accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- We are the leading Interior Design program in the state of South Carolina
- Graduates of our program practice across the US, enter graduate programs, become NCIDQ certified, and are LEED GA accredited designers
- A required internship allows students to engage with professionals and learn while working
- Interior design professors are professionals with successful private practice experience
Our course schedules are customized so the students meet and travel together to attend professional activities. Membership in professional organizations is encouraged.
Each interior design major is required to participate in a professional design work experience with an interior design or architectural firm. You’ll be confident to intern at any design firm in the country with a competitive résumé and portfolio.
BFA in Interior Design
The studio sequence along with meaningful interactions with interior designers, architects, lighting experts, and healthcare futurists, prepares you for the real world of interior design practice. You will study art, design, history and technology and learn to use the creative process to solve complex problems.
The curriculum includes specialized courses in colors, textiles, lighting, materials, design history, construction documents, computer technology, and business practices that support the core studios and provide a well-rounded interior design education. An exhibit of your work is part of your senior classwork.
Use of software and internet research is an important component of all interior design courses. Interior Design majors are required to provide their own laptop computers for courses starting in their sophomore year.
Upon graduation, our students gain employment in interior design firms, architecture and engineering firms, office furniture dealerships, manufacturers of interiors’ products, facility design/real estate properties departments, and retail showrooms.
- Over 80% of our graduates have a job in the field either at graduation or within six months.
- 100% of those applying to graduate school have been successful in gaining admission, including institutions such as New York School of Interior Design and Corcoran College of Art and Design.
Copa Airlines Luxury Lounge
Crown School of the Arts Elementary School
Mickel Academic Library
Graduating Class of 2016
- 100% of freshmen interior design majors continued to their second year
- 89% of freshmen interior design majors graduated. 100% of these graduated within 4 years
- Transfer students had no prior art or design courses and completed four years on campus
Student Achievement and Outcomes
- 100% of interior design students completed an internship
- 50% worked part time in the interior design field during their senior year
- 75% were employed in the interior design field within three months after graduation
- 100% of students were employed within three months after graduation
- No students applied to graduate programs
Data collected from institutional records and program reports.