Located on the second floor of the library in suite 204, the Writing Center provides assistance to all students seeking to build their writing skills. The Writing Center is dedicated to providing academic support to the needs of student writers across the curriculum. In addition, any students who wish to enhance their skills, independent of specific course work, or have a friendly reader for their newest poem, essay or story, can find assistance in the center.
“The Writing Center is a place that when used frequently could be the difference in two letter grades. During the fall 2012 semester, I visited the writing center at least one time per paper and over the course of the semester I noticed a natural change in my writing.”
– Savanna Edwards ’16
The Writing Center offers assistance with:
- learning prewriting strategies
- understanding the writing process
- developing a thesis
- strengthening the focus of a paper
- including supporting details
- creating effective introductions
- recognizing strengths and needs
- identifying and correcting grammatical errors.
It provides students with:
- one-on-one tutoring
- small group workshops focusing on specific topics
- reference books
- professional writing texts which may be checked out
- creative writing and English as a second language assistance.
While the center cannot provide a proofreading/editing service or a guarantee of better grades, it will serve as a caring and concerned trial audience for what students have written.